Monday, August 20, 2012

Too Many Questions About Diet

Where Do We Start?
In the beginning there was fat, and fat was good and we ate it... abundantly... with relish (and other sauces)... and we grew to larger proportions. And then we wanted to be less than we had become and so we paid others to tell us what to eat (or not) and how to move (or not) and when to do all of this. And what supplements to take and foods to eat more and foods to eat less... and where has it gotten us?
We eat processed food, we eat fast food, we eat bio-engineered food, we eat food and food products from animals that have been genetically modified and from plants that have been genetically modified, we eat foods that have been chemically altered, we consume poisons and we wonder why our health is suffering.
How can we begin to change our habits and patterns when we are inundated with the continuing misinformation everywhere we go. Fast food companies wanting us to super-size and not wait (even though we seem to wait in their lines to order and again to pick up what we've ordered). We go to gyms and other forms of exercise and are "motivated" or "mis-motivated" by individuals who don't take our circumstances or limitations into consideration, it is all about "just do it" and not about "do what you can today and a bit more tomorrow" and so we feel bad and eat more.
Do I Have a Solution?
My solution is that I choose what I eat from things I cook (not from a package) and move myself in ways that don't over-stress my ailing parts and enhance my not-so-ailing parts. I take some supplements that seem to be beneficial (found a new one this week - for anti-aging). We've been doing Pilates and just joined the Gold's Gym so I can do it my way. My shopping choices tend to prefer the things called "organic" or "natural" and I detest the fact that they think I should pay more.
Good health and good eating habits begin in that wonderful place I call "between your ears and behind your eyes" and that is the beginning of anyone's journey to wellness. Want me to say that more simply? OK... YOU HAVE TO WANT TO CHANGE BEFORE MEANINGFUL CHANGE WILL OCCUR. That means you have to stop drinking the stuff with "high fructose corn syrup" and stop eating the things with chemical names you can't pronounce and stop using products with chemical names you can't pronounce (any product that has a thing with "laureth" in the name is a poison). YOU have to take control of your life and your existence and want to have, be and do better.
Your Task, Should You Choose to Accept!!!
Make one tiny change in your life. Drink less soda or use less sweetener or eat a little less "stuff from a box, can or freezer" and see if you can replace these with "better choices" like make green tea (go and buy some) or anything that changes what you eat. And then, move a bit more than you usually do. Walk around the block, go to a large mall and walk it (if you live in a hot or cold place, then find the indoor one). Make your own difference - stop eating at the fast food places, find a traditional ethnic alternative. Eat better and live happier.